Softcover. Where was the Jewish East End? On the map, you could say from the Aldgate Pump on the west side to the People's Palace in the Mile End Road on the east. From the north, its boundaries would reach just beyond the Bethnal Green Road with the River Thames at the southern end by the Tower of London. And how many Jewish EastEnders were there? Before the Second World War, the highest estimate, until the move to suburbia began, was about 100,000. In 1992, only about 5,000 mostly elderly residents remained. This is a book of memories dedicated to all those who lived and worked in the Jewish East End by recording many of their names street by street. The Street Index plus b/w photographs and listed businesses at the time includes : Whitechapel High Street 1923; Whitechapel Road 1934; Black Lion Yard 1934; Mile End Road 1934; Redmans Road 1938; Brick Lane 1934; Wentworth St. 1934; Old Montague Street 1938; Gt. Prescot St. 1870; Leman St, 1911; Commercial Rd. 1949; Fieldgate St. 1938; Christian Street 1938; New Road 1934; Hessel St. 1938 (+ 1950, 1987 and 1988). Profusely Illus. + Street Index. 75pp. softcover. Vg.